Are you a smart person? I suppose everyone wants to answer "YES, I am". There are different kinds and different degrees of smartness. Everyone I know is smart in one particular area of life, so from that perspective, we are all smart. For the purpose of this article, smartness is based on IQ points. This is about about the good and bad habits of people with a high IQ. It seems there are some patterns, and things to watch out for if you are a smart person.
Smart people have many good habits. They are usually avid readers, they set goals, they are very self-disciplined and they even think about thinking. Smart people are not off the hook when it comes to bad habits though. If you have a high IQ, you may have a predisposition to being drunk, take drugs, and rob your body of sleep. You might also be very anxious or have an anxiety disorder, which can lead to depression and smoking.
According to that study, 3% of people have written goals and a written plan to achieve them. 13% of people have goals, but they aren’t written down. 84% of people have no goals at all. The 3% who wrote down their goals achieved them. Even more interesting is that the 3% of people who wrote down their goals also ended up earning 10 times more money than the other 97% combined. That is definitely one of the many good habits we can all learn from smart people
Not everyone is perfect, and that includes the president of the United States, great entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs, and even world famous athletes like Michael Jordan. Everyone has their flaws - bad habits that no one desires to have or keep around their lives - that only leads them to unlocking their very limited potential in themselves. But more often than not, their good habits more than make up for their bad ones, which is why they’re still left in a great position to succeed in their endeavours.
If you only possessed the good habits, it would be very hard for folks to see you becoming anything other than a success, right? That is why your
“net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones.”
- Benjamin Franklin.
If you are a person who believes in daily and consistent self-improvement, you will soon realize that getting rid of the bad habits first are just as, if not, more important than attaining the new ones.
Sure, those nasty habits of yours may give you some immediate satisfaction or temporary relief from stress or any other external/internal factors that may come into play, but success is never about instant gratification. It’s a long-term commitment that is often accompanied by delayed gratification which may or may not ever come your way. Increase your chances of success by decreasing your bad habits and nurturing the good ones. It’s a difficult process that very few people can do, which is why success is often for the very few who can make this happen.